If there’s before care, you shouldn’t forget about aftercare ;) Hair removal can cause stress to the skin since the pores will be opened and exposed which can be clogged with bacteria, oil, and dead skin. These can further develop to mild bumps, inflammation, irritation, and scarring. That’s why we’re here to help you, Babes, to ensure those skin problems won’t happen after hair removal.
Let’s start off with things to AVOID 24-48 hours after any hair removal.
- Touching or scratching the area where hair is removed. The skin is sensitive after hair removal and as we’ve mentioned, your pores are open so there is a possibility where dirt can get inside them causing skin irritation.
- Exercising, using the sauna or steam room, and even sunbathing. Sweat can infect open pores and heat can irritate the treated area. Allow your pores enough time to close and the skin to calm down before doing said activities or going on holidays.
- Jumping in the pool or hitting the beach. Bodies of water can contain bacteria and you could have an increased risk of getting an infection, and no one wants that.
- It is recommended to wait at least 4 hours before washing the treated area and to not use any product (soap, deodorant, make-up, powder, lotion, etc) on them, just cold running water will suffice.
- Avoid using tight-fitted clothing that may cause friction to the treated area.
And to ensure that your skin remains smooth and bump-free, here are a few other tips for aftercare.
- To calm the skin, we suggest applying a hydrating mask or moisturizer such as aloe vera gel. This will help soothe any discomfort you might experience. Tea tree oil can also be applied to the area for its antibacterial properties.
- Exfoliate, but be careful to not over do it. Gently exfoliate the skin no less than 48 hours after hair removal to prevent bumps from forming and ingrown hairs. However, any hair removal process removes the topmost layer of dead skin, so any kind of additional exfoliation can lead to skin damage.
👀 👀 👀 Oooh! Oooh! Watch out for this, Babes!
- Be selective with your skin care. Stick with gentle, fragrance-free body washes and creams for the next few days after your hair removal session.
You should be smooth sailing for the next few days or weeks, when hair typically begins to grow back for another hair removal session. Happy hair erasing, Babes!